Thursday, November 20, 2014

Media Particpiation Project

For my media participation project, I wrote an article for Unwind Magazine here on campus. This was such a new and exciting experience for me. Although I have written many articles for my high school newspaper, writing an article for Unwind seemed like an even bigger deal. Before I could begin writing for the online magazine, I had to go to a story assignment meeting. I attended the assignment meeting on October 6th, 2014 and while in the meeting I realized how organized the magazine staff was. The possible fall issue stories were split into different categories including, news, arts and entertainment and style. The editors introduced themselves to us and explained the criteria for each story that was placed in their section. Stories were assigned by the editors. Whoever was the first person to raise their hand for a particular story was the individual who got to write the story. 

I was given the opportunity to write a beat about a Fall Study Music playlist and it was in the category of arts and entertainment.  This story did not require anything but my personal opinion on perfect songs to listen to while studying for midterms. This made writing the story fun and easy to do. It took me roughly half an hour to write the story because I had already had a list of songs in my head. I really enjoyed writing for this magazine because it was a popular magazine here on campus but the staff were very welcoming and supportive. I developed a good relationship with my editor and she ended up

This experience taught me a lot about myself and my interest in becoming a journalist. I learned that i truly do enjoy writing stories and the print journalism is something I can see myself majoring in. I also learned that meeting deadlines are one of the most important things when being a journalist. Writing for Unwind made me want to return to another story assignment meeting at some point this year. This experience was so eye opening in the sense of allowing me to decided on how to spend my time wisely here at UMD. 

No comments:

Post a Comment