Friday, November 14, 2014

Media Participation Project-Jordan Burt



Before I even began taking classes I knew I wanted to participate in some form of journalistic activity. Then, in early September I heard about WMUC Sports. I contacted the station director Dennis Ting for more information. I was told that I could do a sports talk radio show for an hour on a weekly basis. I was thrilled about the opportunity.  

The first show I was a little nervous. I had always wanted to do a live broadcast, but did not have much experience with the equipment or how the show should run. I made sure I got to the studio very early to prepare (I still like to do this even though I am very familiar with the studio and its set up). The studio is set up where the soundboard is on the right side of the room on a table. The computer is on the other table adjacent to the soundboard. The three microphones hang over the table by the computer. Usually, not all the microphones work, so before each show we do a "sound check" to see which ones are working properly. Then, we use our computers (the one provided and my laptop) to create our topics of discussion. Once the show starts we are free to talk about whatever we want along on our topics of discussion. I have been doing this radio show since the second week of September and will most likely be doing it for the rest of the year. This semester our show airs on wmucsports.wordpress.com every Wednesday at 1pm.    

I am hoping this is just the first experience I have at the University of Maryland doing live broadcasts.  This is a start on the path I will take to become a broadcast journalist. Next semester I hope to be a part of the spring broadcast crew and possibly a writer for the Diamondback.  

No comments:

Post a Comment