Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Joe Malandruccolo IV Media Participation

Deciding what to do for this project was quite easy because I knew that whatever college I attended, I would get involved in the campus radio station. WMUC Sports Radio has been one of my favorite things about Maryland because it was easy to get started and it’s a gateway to many other opportunities in the field.
Specifically, I co-host a weekly radio show with Jordan Burt on Wednesdays from 1:00 to 2:00. Throughout the show, Jordan and I discuss hot topics in professional and collegiate sports. Topics include significant games, standings, controversies, and the upcoming week of sports.
In order to get started, all Jordan and I had to do was email the sports director Dennis Ting that we were interested. We included the day and time that we wanted to have and if it was open, the slot was ours. Believe it or not, the most challenging part of the entire process was creating a name for our show. We agreed on Charm City vs. The Big Apple to represent our different upbringings and create a head-to-head theme for the show. Although, as we’ve come to learn, Jordan and I tend to agree more than we disagree.
The first few shows were a struggle. After knowing each other for such little time, we hadn’t created much of a personal relationship, let alone a co-host relationship. Eventually we began to gel quite well together and after our tenth show or so, Jordan and I have formed a fluent and entertaining one-hour program. This challenge helped me learn that this source of media requires that you be personable and be able to talk to others very well.
Jordan and I open the show with an intro song and quick headlines. We break up the show by moving from sport to sport with a quick break about halfway through the hour. It feels like we’re a legitimate ESPN talk show radio. We’re trying desperately to get more people to listen and have even discussed creating business cards to get the word out. We already have a Twitter account and Facebook page. I remember speaking to a woman at the career fair and she told me that getting our names out there was very important.  
I used to feel nervous in front of the microphone but that has understandably diminished over time. While I was content with the show for a few weeks, I now find myself looking for more. Jordan and I have discussed extending our show for an hour so we can cover a wider variety of topics and also go more in depth to some major topics.
Getting exposed to the equipment is something that will undoubtedly benefit me in the future. Working the soundboards and making sure your voice is at a good pitch and tone are things that come with the job. Most of the time, Jordan’s microphone works perfectly but mine needs a lot of tweaking. So being able to work on the fly and think fast is a crucial skill that I’ll be learning throughout my involvement in WMUC Sports.
One of my favorite things about WMUC Sports is that it puts us first in line for sports broadcasting opportunities. Any WMUC Sports member can apply to broadcast a Maryland sports team throughout the season. Alex Flum broadcasted several women’s soccer games and I knew that I wanted to get involved. Dennis Ting sent out an email requesting applications to broadcast a few winter sports. I applied for hockey because it’s an exciting game and I feel that if someone like myself, who has no experience other than the radio show, can call a hockey game then the sky is the limit. I was actually just notified on Tuesday night that I had received one of the open positions. I wish the season didn’t end in a month or so but beggars can’t be choosers.

My main goal is to receive some valuable experience as a broadcaster. I’m in a serious resume-building stage right now and something like this is a great way to get started. After just a few short months, I’m more certain than ever that this is what I want to study and continue to improve on. I know my voice is fit for this kind of work and I just need to get as involved as I can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment