Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Media Partcipation Project- Joseph Foley

For my media participation project, I worked as a news reporter for the Maryland Women's Volleyball team. This opportunity came through WMUC Sports, which is the student-run sports station that does broadcasting, radio talk shows, and event reporting. Although I also have a talk show on WMUC radio this semester, I wanted to get involved with news reporting for my project, because I am interested in that as a possible career path.

I got involved by attending the initial interest meeting in September, where WMUC executives went over how to apply for a news reporting position. I had to supply a resume, multiple writing samples, as well as a list of what sports I would be most intrigued in covering. I sent all of my files in an email to the news director, Marissa Morris, and was selected to be apart of the Volleyball news crew. Shortly after, Marissa supplied a schedule of what games I would be reporting on, due to the fact there were six of us on the crew.

My first game experience came on Friday October 17th, when the Terrapins took on Michigan State at the Xfinity Center. I arrived about an hour early to the arena, where I first picked up my media credential next to the entrance gate. I then made my way down to the media section, where various other reporters were already sitting and chatting amongst themselves. During the pre game warmups, I took notes on my laptop of the starting lineups, the team's records, and past history between the two schools. I also opened up twitter, because I was required to live tweet the game from the WMUC Sports account.

Quickly, the game was underway, as I simultaneously watched every play while also taking notes. If there was a key play or shift in momentum, such as a team going on a run, I would rapidly tweet the update. I also took down team stats at the end of each set, which were shown on the big screen. The game moved at a fast pace, with Michigan State sweeping Maryland in three straight sets. After the game, I had the opportunity to go into the media room, where players and coaches were available for interviewing. Although it wasn't a great showing from the team, they were accessible and open to questions, as I jotted down some quotes for my article.

I had forty-eight hours to submit my article, so that night I sat down to figure out what angle I wanted to write from. Maryland was in the midst of a losing streak at the time, so I decided to focus on their struggle to adapt to the Big Ten Conference. I also had access to a stat sheet which was given to me in the media room, so I incorporated some significant stats into my article. I submitted my article to the editor, and it was posted online at WMUC Sports' website the next morning. It felt satisfying to see my article up so quickly, and also a bit weird to see my name on it. Throughout the Volleyball season, I covered two more games, however both were away matches. I didn't travel with the team, but instead was required to write a short recap of the game.

My experience with WMUC was exciting and welcoming, and I love that I was able to get involved right away as a freshman. For the winter sports season, I am now covering Women's Basketball games for WMUC, and look to progress as a writer and reporter. The media participation project not only gave me my first experience within sports media, but gave me the opportunity to continue to work with WMUC Sports.

No comments:

Post a Comment