Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Kirstyn Flood's Media Participation Project

The Diamondback

I had a strong idea of what publication I wanted to explore for the Media Participation Project, the moment that I heard about the assignment. After working on my high school’s newspaper and, eventually, becoming an editor, I had grown accustomed to delving into a topic and conducting interviews for an article. I was eager to get back into the newsroom, which is why I chose to volunteer for the Diamondback.

            The Diamondback is a student newspaper that is the main source of local, national and campus news within the University of Maryland. The paper is printed Monday through Thursday; a digital version is published every Friday. On the homepage of the Diamondback Online, are four categories: news, sports, opinion, and diversions, which highlight top news stories. The stories in the Diamondback cover a wide range of topics, from the midterm election to Taylor Swift’s depiction of crazy-in-love girlfriends in her music video, “Blank Space.”

            General assignment meetings for the Diamondback are held every Sunday night at 8:00 p.m. in the South Campus Dining Hall. These meetings are run by General Assignment Editor, Jenny Hottle, and are open to Journalism and non-Journalism majors alike. I attended three meetings before taking an article, just because I wanted to get a feel for the types of articles that are pitched and the best way to manage article-writing with schoolwork.

            I was assigned to write an article about the David C. Driskell Center’s Robert Blackburn exhibition and symposium. This was exciting for me because I was eager to get out, conduct interviews and cover the event. I was told to have at least three sources for my article—first, Dorit Yaron, the Driskell Center’s deputy director, who then put me in contact with two graduate students and Prof. Curlee Holton, the executive director of the Driskell Center. Within two days, I had gathered all of the information I needed, and was ready to begin writing.

            Writing the article for the Diamondback was unlike any article that I had written in the past, because it was short and concise. I had a hard deadline to meet: Sunday, October 26th, at 12:00 p.m. After emailing Jenny Hottle my article, a wave of relief washed over me. I was very proud to have written my first article for the Diamondback. It was published online two days later, here: http://www.diamondbackonline.com/news/article_1cf50548-5e52-11e4-81c7-0017a43b2370.html


            I enjoyed my experience with the Diamondback and plan on writing for the paper in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment