Thursday, November 20, 2014

Media Participation Project

For my media participation project I wrote a blog post for the Naviance website, a product owned by Hobsons, the company that I interned with for the past two summers. Hobsons is an education solution company that sells products aimed to better academic performance, and help with career planning.  I worked under the marketing department and one of my objectives was to write a blog series on the topic of education to be posted on the company blog.

For my post I wrote about the pressure of Advance Placement courses and the benefits and drawbacks that the class brings. I used a magazine from my hometown where it told the stories of high school students and opinions from professionals including facts about academic stress and how the pressure of taken AP courses in the DC-Metro are significantly higher.  This fact alone made me want to discuss it further in my post, as the school district and students the students they interviewed were very familiar to me, as many were former peers. I felt like my story mirrored those in the article and I wanted to be able to share my opinion on the subject.

To set up the opportunity I contacted my manager at Hobsons, who was excited to hear from me, and gave me the go ahead to write the post. Like I had as an intern, I had no solid deadline, but I still worked diligently to get it done. I turned it in about a week or two later to be reviewed and I am waiting for any final adjustments before it gets put on the calendar to be posted on the blog.

Writing an education blog series is interesting because many times academic opinion pieces are not from students themselves. My view is unique because I actually experienced taking AP classes, and I am apart of the success stories.  While I have other interests, I love writing about education as I believe a students opinion can be vital not only for the leaders in education but for other students too, because they can learn from prior experience or get advice.


http://www.naviance.com/blog/author/brooke-giles#.VG4ARpPF_Xw

No comments:

Post a Comment