Monday, November 17, 2014

Media Participation Project: Kayla Schorr

For my Media Participation Project, I decided to write an article for the Diamondback, University of Maryland's independent student newspaper. In order to write this article, I first had to attend a Genral Assignments meeting, which occur every Sunday night at 8 p.m. above the South Campus Diner. There, the GA editor (Jenny Hottle) proposed story ideas in addition to asking all of the meeting's attendees to contribute other interesting story ideas.

One of the ideas Jenny proposed regarding how to dress at the career fair that we had in the beginning of September. Since I like fashion and was planning to go to the career fair anyway, I decided this story was very fitting for me. I signed up to write it and had four entire days to write a 400-500 word story about the matter.

I tried to contact a bunch of different sources for this story, however, they would either say they were uninterested in being interviewed or were constantly busy when I called to ask a few brief questions. This definitely introduced me to the struggles of journalism--getting quotes, finding reliable sources and getting information in on time. Eventually, I reached the proper sources and sent my story over to Jenny, who made minor edits and ensured that her edits were to my liking. The story was posted on September 16. Though I experienced some difficulty while writing this piece, it came out pretty well, granted it was a pretty short piece about an informal topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment