Monday, November 17, 2014

Media Participation - Jack Paciotti

I chose to type a column for the Diamondback for my media participation project and was everything I had hoped it would be. Writing a guest column is a very relaxed; you can write about whatever you want, whenever you want and when you're done you submit it via email to the opinions editor.

I particularly enjoyed the freedom I had when writing for the Diamondback. The only guideline I was given was that it had to take a stance; it had to argue for or against something. I found myself changing the stance and even the subject of the column several times as I wrote the piece. I have written opinion pieces before, but never with this amount of freedom which allowed me to change my stance and subject constantly.

When I began to write my column, I was originally going to write about the typical freshman experience, mostly focusing on how reality differs from the myths and rumors that media and our family have placed in our heads. But as I progressed through writing my article, I kept asking myself the same question; "Who's going to read this?" The majority of students aren't Freshmen and therefore are most likely not interested in reading about the Freshman experience. I toiled with the idea of changing the subject - I had already completed over half of the column and it would go to waste if I were to change the subject. I then decided to adjust the subject slightly; rather than writing about the typical Freshman experience, I decided to write about why students go to college. All college students can relate to it and it still allowed me to use some of the previous material I had written.

No comments:

Post a Comment