Monday, October 27, 2014

Media Participation Project

Jessica Fischberg
Unwind Magazine

            When we were first assigned the media participation project at the beginning of the semester I had no idea what I wanted to do. Choices like writing an article for The Diamondback, shadowing a professional journalist, and volunteering at WMUC all seemed liked good options but nothing was truly standing out to me. Once I heard about Unwind magazine, I immediately knew I wanted to write an article for this magazine as my media participation project. This magazine features articles on health, arts, entertainment, music, movies, televisions, enterprise, style, and the College Park community.
            The co editors in chief, Amanda Eisenberg and Katie Wilhelm, assigned me an article topic that included famous model Karlie Kloss and her new partnership with Momofuku Milk Bar to create Karlie’s Kookies. At first I was very intimidated writing an article for the magazine because I felt that I did not have enough experience. But as soon as I started researching the topic and talking to sources I knew that this was the right project for me. I enjoyed writing an article on a topic that was of interest to me. In the article I share that both the 5boro Kookie and the Perfect 10 Kookie are gluten free and sold online and at Momofuku Milk Bars locations in New York City. A portion of the proceeds from these cookies is donated to FEED Projects, a foundation that supports programs and organizations in the fight to end hunger and malnutrition.

            Writing this article for Unwind magazine affirmed my goal to have a career as a journalist for a fashion, entertainment, news, and lifestyle magazine. This career aspiration combines my interest in style with my love of writing and sharing news with others. I am excited to continue being involved in Unwind magazine throughout my four years as a student at the University of Maryland. Writing articles for this campus publication will help develop my skills as a journalist and prepare me for a career in the field of journalism.

No comments:

Post a Comment