Thursday, October 23, 2014

2014 Journalism Career Fair


On Monday, October 20th, the Philip Merrill College of Journalism held a career fair at the Adele H. Stamp Student Union for students majoring in journalism.

As the fair was intended for current journalism majors, I had to check in as a journalism student seeking extra credit. Once I did this, I was told that I was required to attend one of the panels. The speaker of the panel that I attended was Michelle LaRoche, Editor of Development for The Wall Street Journal. Upon entering, I wasn’t totally sure of what to expect. However, it immediately became clear that the objective of the panel was to inform attendees of the expectations of interns, as well as internship applications, at The Wall Street Journal. First, Ms. LaRoche stated that, at The Wall Street Journal, they expect their interns to have previous internship experience, making it clear that this paper is not for beginners. In addition, she informed us that interns are treated like all other staff. While it is understood that they may need some help adjusting, interns are expected to already have gained the ability, through schooling and previous experience, to keep up with the rest of the staff. Then, Ms. LaRoche discussed the resume, cover letter, and clips, which are all required as part of the internship application process. She stressed the importance of chronology on the resume, especially when listing journalism experience, and if there is a noticeable gap in dates, then it is preferable that the reason is brought to light in the application’s cover letter. As far as the clips go, Ms. LaRoche said that she looks for writing that looks at commonly covered events from a different angle than everyone else and that it doesn’t matter where the clip comes from as long as it’s some of the person’s best work. Overall, I was really glad I sat in for the panel because it gave me a better idea of what all should be on my resume, no matter where I’m applying to.           

Although I had to leave for a class after the panel, I was able to return for the last fifteen minutes of the fair. Unfortunately, most of the employers had already packed up and left. Most of the few that were left had a person being interviewed right then and there at the booth. One still had a long line of people in business suits, holding resumes, all waiting to speak with the representative at the booth. I was a little discouraged by this. However, I still wanted to approach at least one booth, so I walked up to the first one that didn’t have anyone else at it. Unfortunately, it was not a booth for a particular newspaper or news station. The booth was for DC Internships. I learned that DC Internships gives students a chance to live in Washington, D.C. for a period of time during the summer and intern with companies, or in this case news stations, which coincide with their intended major and interests. In addition, participants can take courses that help prepare them for applying for jobs in the future. I was actually really glad that I ended up talking with the representative at the DC Internships booth, because I’m now really interested in their program.

Even though I did not get to fully experience the main part of the career fair, I was still really glad that I went. It was a great experience, and it has helped prepare me for when I attend again as an upperclassman. I now know how to dress, what to bring with me, and what to have on my resume. The career fair was definitely geared toward upperclassmen journalism majors, but I know that when I reach that point, I’ll have a better idea of what to expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment