Sunday, October 26, 2014

Media Participation Project- Katie Fox

Katie Fox

For my media participation project, I decided to write an article for University of Maryland's magazine, Unwind. I decided to write for Unwind for my media participation project because I have previously read the magazine and I knew I was interested in all of the topics that the magazine covers. Someday I would love to write for a fashion magazine and writing for Unwind would set me up to see if I would want a career such as this. After deciding to write for Unwind, I first met with Amanda Eisenberg to discuss what the media participation project was and what I was planning on doing for my project. Being interested in fashion, entertainment and news, writing for a magazine seemed to be a perfect opportunity for me. When meeting with Amanda, we discussed the possible topics I could cover and when my piece would be due. I would be writing an article for the month of September/October. The story I decided to write about was upcoming movies students should have on their radar to see this fall! After having a lengthy meeting with Amanda, she connected me with Jenny Hottle, an editor for Unwind magazine, who would be overlooking my work and approving what I had written for the magazine before it was published. Jenny and I emailed back and forth and met multiple times to review what I had written, adjusted a few things and finally having her approve my final piece. After writing my article about upcoming movies for Unwind, I was extremely proud of myself for going out of my comfort zone and doing something that I have never done before. When the magazine was published, I took several copies from the Student Union and seeing my name in the magazine reassured my original goal of being a journalist. After writing for the magazine and putting my heart and soul into my writing, I understood this is what I want to do for a career and made me realize that I want to stick with the path I always had, being a journalist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment