Monday, October 27, 2014

Journalism Career Fair- Jocelyn Brocato

Jocelyn Brocato
Journalism Career Fair

The Journalism Career Fair was an eye opening experience for me in regards to gaining perspective in the field of journalism.  I was originally very nervous upon entering the room in the Stamp Student Union.  I dressed very business professional, wearing a pencil skirt and a white buttoned blouse.  I wanted to show the employers that I care about my career and I portrayed that through what I was wearing.  I met up with a couple friends from my class so that we could go in together and offer moral support considering we were all equally as nervous.  I went in and saw a booth about DC internships that I found particularly interesting.  I never thought about a career in political journalism but after looking through the brochure I thought it might be something worth looking into.  I introduced myself to the man at the booth and he gave me directions on how to apply to be chosen for a DC internship and I have been seriously considering doing so.  I also talked to a woman about internships having to do with broadcast journalism as well.  It was a little intimidating sharing the room with so many other journalism students who are older than me and have had much more experience but I was trying my best to appear confident.  The advice given to me by one of the employers was to continue writing for the newspaper in order to gain experience.  I have since then continued to go to Diamondback meetings to have the opportunity to write more stories.  I hope to return to the Journalism Career Fair in the future and by that time, hopefully have more to offer in my resume to the prospective employers.  The experience allowed me to understand the many different fields of journalism and the many jobs that are available.  I definitely think I learned a lot by attending the fair and the cookies at the refreshment table were delicious as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment