Thursday, October 23, 2014

Journalism Career Fair

 Krystal Rennie

Journo200

Professor Henry

23 October 2014




On October 20th 2014 I attended the 2014 Journalism Career Fair. Dressed in my best business outfit, I was excited and nervous to see what the fair had to offer. I arrived at the Stamp Student Union on campus and was surprised to see so many people. I signed in and one of the desk workers informed me that a Sports broadcast journalism panel was about to begin upstairs. I have always had an interest in sports journalism so I figured that I would go see what the panel to offer. Before I went upstairs I poked my head in the Grand Ballroom where I saw so many tables and representatives from different organizations spread throughout the room. I saw a lot of interactions between representatives and students. I took a quick second to walk around and speak to one or two representatives but I was easily intimidated by the big names that were surrounding me. It was almost surreal to think that if I stayed on track, I could potentially be employed with USA Today or other popular news networks. 

The sports broadcast journalism panel started at 3pm so I made it upstairs just in time. On the panel there were 4 University of Maryland alumnus and the panel was lead by a professor in the Philip Merrill College of Journalism. The students were asked questions about their experiences here at Maryland and how it prepared them for the real world. They spoke one by one about how they received the jobs that they have now. They gave us a lot of helpful advice on how to make it and become successful in the world of journalism. 

There were a couple of things that I learned from listening in on the career fair panel. One things I learned was that one always carry your resume with you because you never know when an opportunity will present itself. The former students also stressed the importance of being versatile in this industry. They explained to us that It is better to be skilled in multiple things then in just one aspect of journalism. It was really helpful to hear former students talk about their experiences because they were once in my position. It was also a bit intimidating to think that I was sitting in the same room as writers and reporters from popular newspapers around our metro area. 
  
The career fair provided a great opportunity for me to begin to broaden my exposure to all the possibilities that lie in the world of journalism. I will be attending the fair every year in hopes of learning more about possible internships and job offerings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment