Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Journalism Career Fair

Jessica Fischberg
On October 20, I attended the 32nd annual College of Journalism Career Day & Internship Fair held at the Stamp Student Union in the grand ballroom. The event had representatives from both broadcast and multiplatform journalism media organizations. It was very intimidating waling up to the sign in table in front of the ballroom realizing that I was underdressed. Many students at the fair were in work attire and looked like they have been preparing for this event for a while. When I realized that most people here were upperclassmen and graduate students I felt intimidated because they likely had a lot more experience in the journalism field than me. Even though I felt unprepared I still decided to go in to the fair because it would be good practice for when I actually go on interviews for jobs and internships in the near future.

The first table I walked up to was DC Internships. This organization is based in the countries capital and it offers college students a chance to gain experience through internships and to gain college credit by taking courses at George Mason University. Students are assigned an internship in their area of interest and also have the option of being assigned a mentor. Having a mentor can give one valuable advice and information about journalism as a career. The next table I approached was Bustle, which is a Website that has articled on various topics including News, Politics, Entertainment, Fashion, Lifestyle, and Books. As I was talking Meredith Turits, one of Bustle’s senior editors, I got very excited because I realized that I could truly see myself writing for a website like this in the near future. The senior editor even mentioned that one could apply for the summer internships with little experience. Overall attending the career fair was a valuable experience and I plan on attending this event each year as a student at the University of Maryland.

No comments:

Post a Comment